- General information
If you have any queries, then you can contact us via:
Address: Dr. Barry O'Donoghue, IHHWS, Beal, Asdee, Ballybunion, Co. Kerry.
- The Information we collect about you
- The IHHWS can only continue to make a difference for Hen Harrier and deliver rigorous scientific research with the active support of our volunteers, supporters, donors and partners. In order to support our activities in the most effective manner and to ensure that we communicate with you in the way that you prefer, we may collect and hold personal information about you in the following ways:
- Personal information that you may provide to us:
- Your name, e-mail address and other relevant information when you submit or upload details of a survey, enquire about the IHHWS, register to join, or join the survey as a volunteer fieldworker, report a sighting or ring-recovery, make a donation, request data or make general enquiries.
The IHHWS will never require or ask for financial information to support the processing of payment information, such as credit/debit card or direct debit details.
The IHHWS will never require or hold information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics (such as age or gender).
- Personal information created through your engagement with IHHWS:
- Your involvement in our surveys creates data which may be classed as personal information (as an observation can identify where you were on a particular date).
Our network of volunteers may collect information relating to their interactions with you whilst carrying out their role supporting the IHHWS.
If you receive an email newsletter, your response to emails you receive may be logged, allowing us to determine, for example, if email is opened. This information is used to help assess the effectiveness of such emails.. You can unsubscribe from recurring email communications at any time using the unsubscribe link contained in each message, or by updating your contact preferences (by contacting us directly or via the contact page or contact phone number).
- What we may do with the information we collect
- IHHWS will never sell your personal data, and will only ever share it with other individuals or organisations where necessary and where guarantees as to its privacy and security have been provided.
When you interact with IHHWS and have not advised us to the contrary, you are agreeing that we may use your personal information for the purposes set out in this statement. IHHWS will only process your personal data where it has a lawful basis for doing so (as specified under Article 6 of the EU General Data Protection Regulation - GDPR). In most cases, the lawful basis is that processing such data is necessary for the legitimate interests of IHHWS.
IHHWS seeks to balance the preservation of your rights under the GDPR & the Data Protection Regulations with the IHHWS legitimate interest in promoting and managing volunteering activities associated with the recording of Hen Harrier, other wildlife and their associated habitats.This activity is central to the achievement of our objectives and delivers scientific rigour to our survey endeavours. We reinforce your rights by offering you the option not to receive information linked to this purpose. If you feel your personal rights override our legitimate interests, you can ask us not to use your information in such a way.
- How we store your information
- IHHWS is committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect. We ensure that encryption is used where appropriate.
The majority of our operations are based in the Ireland and we store the bulk of our data within the European Union.
We will only store your personal information for as long as it is required for the purposes it was collected for. How long information will be stored for depends on the nature of the information collected and what it is being used for. We will undertake regular reviews of the personal information that we hold and will delete personal information that is no longer required to be held (whilst maintaining a record of any preferences expressed by you not to be contacted).
- Your rights
- Whilst we collect and process personal information in order to undertake our work, IHHWS very much wishes to protect your rights and here we set out a brief description of them.
You have the right to confirmation as to whether or not we have your personal information and, if we do, the right to obtain a copy of the personal information we hold (this is known as a Subject Access Request). Should you wish to make such a request, please contact us as detailed above.
You have the right to request that we remove some or all of your personal information (though this may not apply where it is necessary for us to continue to use the data for a lawful reason). If you wish to make such a request, please contact us as detailed above.
You have the right to have any inaccurate personal information corrected; and/or to specify some of the purposes for which we may contact you; and/or to specify some of the channels by which we may contact you. You can do this at any time by contacting us directly as detailed above.
- Young people
- IHHWS wishes to support the energy, enthusiasm and philanthropic spirit that young people demonstrate as they engage with birds and the natural world.
On occasion we might offer the opportunity for young people to engage in events or competitions as part of their involvement with IHHWS. Similarly, young people might actively engage in interactive participation with IHHWS in various social media settings. From time to time, through our work with schools, youth groups and through youth membership we might offer the opportunity for young people to engage in sponsorship or volunteering projects in support of IHHWS’s work.
If, in connection with any of these types of activities, IHHWS publishes personal information about a person under the age of 18, we will limit that information to a picture, the first name, surname and age of that person.
Parental permission: If a person is under 18 years of age then we will need permission from a parent or guardian for them to enter one of our competitions, engage in any form of sponsorship activity or to share a picture, photo or story with us.
- Links to external sites
- Please note that our website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site you should note that we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites, which are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
- In other cases, the legal basis for processing your personal data may be:
- where you have given clear consent for us to do so for a specific purpose;
where the processing is necessary for a contract IHHWS has with you, or because you have asked us to take specific steps before entering into a contract;
where the processing is necessary to protect someone’s life;
where the processing is necessary for IHHWS to perform a task in the public interest or for its official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law;
where the processing is necessary for IHHWS to otherwise comply with the law.